Monday, February 14, 2011

CONSPIRACY OF HALLMARK

    Another holiday is upon us, yes holiday and no I didn't get the day off of work either.  I, just as many of you, and just as one my fellow blogger's spent the day with my blushing, beautiful boss.  Well, I wouldn't say that he is really blushing unless I really "t" him off and he is far from beautiful.  But, I can assure you this he feels the love...each and everyday!!
This holiday I speak of is the infamous, everlasting day that we call "Valentine's Day".  This blog surely should have been posted several weeks ago, in hopes that it would be read by the millions and millions of fans and that maybe a few of those millions would ask themselves, why one day?  And they would get on the "wait a minute there" band wagon.  Which if you are not already, it is a wagon worth riding.  Well, sorry if I am late, sorry if you have already spent $69.95 on a something that will die in a week, sorry if you spent $20 on that box of chocolates that you will probably eat 80% of, I have let you down and I will be more proactive in the future.
    Prior to posting this I researched the history of this costly Hallmark tradition and have discovered there is a variety of mythical legends concerning Valentine's Day.  The puzzling fact is that most legends have nothing to do with buying gifts for the one you love.  In fact one deals with a man who continued to conduct marriages against his emperor's rules and he was put to death, another says that Valentine was put to death for helping Christian's escape, some believe that Valentine's Day is in mid-February to celebration the death or burial of Valentine, and yet another...well, you get the point.  There is only one legend that I could found that remotely suggested that a "Valentine" greeting was sent and it was sent from prison.
    So, you see my point.  This is an everlasting effort by first and foremost Hallmark and in close following by Zales, Wal-Mart, Jared's, Sears's (huh, what about tools and lawn mower's), other major retailer's and yes - even the local grocery stores to make another dollar...well, you are not going to get anything for a dollar so let's try a few or a few hundred dollars.
    Now for you naysayers thinking "ahhhh, he's just an old hard butte!!"  No, really I am not!  Let's look at this in another way.  You love your significant other, right?  You love your family, right?  Let me propose this, June the 12th...wait a minute, September the 4th...wait a minute I am busy that day too, how about March the 21st.  My point is, why one day?  Why not everyday?  Buy a single rose here and there.  Treat that special person to a nice supper here and there.  Stop by the store on the way home sporadically and pick up a sweet card just to let them know that...you love them and you care year around.  Walk in the back door and suggest a big hug most days rather than hardly ever and an "I Love You" rather than a "what's for supper" most of the time rather than hardly ever.
    If you get nothing out of this post, get this...let the people that you LOVE know that you LOVE them each and everyday of your life...not that one day in February - you might not be here the 16th day of July and the inevitable (just like taxes) IS NOT going to wait until the day after the 14th of February.
Until next time....send your thought to hicksmason@gmail.com
Hicks Mason 

1 comment:

  1. And yet sadly, given its previously heretofore established precedence... you do the flowers and the dinners, and the little outings from time to time throughout the year, don't be expecting to get a pass on V-Day. The womenfolk will expect a bigger sentiment, and if you do not deliver...beware the torches and pitchforks coming your way!

    ReplyDelete